SEO is a digital marketing strategy to increase the hits for the website and improve its ranking when searching on the internet. If a business wants to increase the sales and returns of the business then SEO is a good strategy that would help them to increase the number of visitors to their website and convert them into potential customers. It is very cost effect digital marketing strategy which makes the company visible to its customers and creates brand awareness too.
Contrary to this, Black Hat practices are techniques that are followed to manipulate the search engine to increase the page ranking. These strategies are unethical and against the rules of the internet marketing. They are normally used by new and small firms looking to make quick results and establish their existence in the market at a faster speed. The main objectives of Black hat practices are as under:
- Increase ranking on search engine
- Earn high commission for links
- Share your page and get unethical likes
- Earn advertisement income by increasing the views
There are many other Black Hat techniques like content automation, guest posting, Buying links, Link wheel, Automated queries, Creating pages, domain, subdomain, pages with viruses etc. but the most prominent ones can be listed as:
- Keyword stuffing: Audience would like to read articles that are interesting, genuine and not dragging. In this black hat technique, unnecessary and irrelevant keywords are added in the page instead of core subject of the website to increase the SEO thus making the page unrelated.
- Hiding content: This is a smart black hat technique in which the keywords are included in the text in code format. They are normally fed in the article in white format and on a white background which makes it invisible to the users.
- Cloaking: It is a deceptive and obvious technique in which they trick the user by presenting different content in SEO and showing altogether contrasting content for the users. The business forgets to maintain the authenticity on the website and thus hampers the interaction between the client and business losing its customers.
- Article or page spinning: It is a very popular black hat technique in which certain software’s are used to copy and rephrase source as new. Modification to the page or content does not come up in any plagiarism tool and hence the same can be used to post on websites.
- Spam comments: Spammers use this technique to comment on blog or articles referring to links to increase the visibility of their site. Such links may be unrelated or could be of low quality.
- Doorway pages: It is also known as jump pages, bridge pages and gateway pages. These pages are optimised with targeted keyword. In this technique the landed page will direct the user to another link or unrelated site.
Black hat techniques should not be encouraged as they are unethical and are banned by search engines like Google. Although there might be some short-term advantages of these techniques but there are many repercussions to it. They will damage the reputation of the business and will also lose its customers. If found guilty, the business might also have to pay a hefty penalty to the search engine and search engines might stop showing the website in their search results; which means, you will become invisible to the outer world.
The main thing to remember here is, SEO is a long-term process that involves constant efforts and strategising and NOBODY can guarantee quick results (not even Google)! So if you find someone who claims to bring your website on in first 5 search results in 3 months, you have found a Black Hatter.