Searching for something on the internet is fairly simple for the end-user. We simply enter what we are looking for on Google Search and we open the first result that comes up in order to get our answers. However, this is not as simple as it seems. Imagine the number of websites that would consist of the answer to the query you entered in Google Search, there can be millions of results, but only one website shows up on top, why is that?
There are techniques that go into bringing these websites on the top, namely SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing). We are going to dig deeper into what these terminologies actually mean and how they are work.
What is SEO?
Search engines like Google function with a single goal: delivering the search results that are most relevant to the person who is searching. Search Engine Optimisation can be defined as systematic efforts taken in order to make your website appear as a more relevant search result to the search engine. Although it is a process that doesn’t cost money, it does consume a lot of time because of a large number of influencing factors.
Advantages of SEO
- It is a free technique that is widely being used on the internet because it works!
- 80% of the people ignore clicking on advertisements and prefer clicking on actual links that SEO ranks.
Disadvantages of SEO
- SEO is a slow process which can take months before it can produce results.
- There is no way to evaluate whether SEO is generating any results or not.
- Google keeps updating its algorithms, which means SEO techniques have to be changed accordingly.
What is SEM?
Search Engine Marketing is like an umbrella that covers Search Engine Optimisation as well. The idea behind SEM is to buy advertisements that relate to the content on a website. When people click those advertisements, they are directed to your website and that is how your rank higher. Keep in mind that SEM requires purchasing of advertisements and is not free, unlike SEO.
Advantages of SEM
- It is a fast process and you don’t need to rank higher, the advertisements will take care of everything.
- New websites can have an immediate boost with SEM and it is an effective option.
Disadvantages of SEM
- Buying ads can be costly, especially if you have a competitor with deep pockets.
- The number of visitors drops as soon as you stop paying for the ads.
- People have started using Ad-blockers that may result in the advertisements not showing up on their web searches.
Expert Advice for Real Estate Fraternity
Mudassar Merchant, A leading expert in digital marketing, explains the difference between SEO and SEM, is that when it comes to real estate industry, SEM is the best way to market a new project as it gives quick results. However, in the case company website, SEO is the best way to go as it helps a building a long lasting brand image.